Samsung Galaxy Tab, the original model, is recently receive Android 4.0 update from Android Open KANG Project team! This is great if you’re happen to own the tablet. Android Open KANG Project (AOKP) team is like the coolest developer around the corner that are famous for some of their custom ROM, which is build from Google’s official android OS and packed with lot of amazing customization. The latest release is build based on Android ICS firmware and it is now available for Samsung Galaxy Tab!
Today, we are about to tell you how to install this custom ROM. But before we get started, you should do these following things. First, root your Galaxy Tab and make sure that you still have at least 3GB free space in your SD card. Second, create a full backup of all your important file, including contacts, phone log, apps, settings, and apps. Third, charge your tablet up to 80% or above. This is important to avoid unexpected error during the installation process. Fourth, disable any antivirus program in your desktop computer. Finally, enable the USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development. When you’re done with all these stuffs, we can start the tutorial right away.
1. Grab the Overcome_7_series_v4.1.0_NoWipe.zip and save it in your computer. Now, plug in your tablet via USB cable and move this .zip file to the root folder of your SD card
2. Remove your tablet and boot to CWM Recovery mode. Once you already there, pick Choose Zip from SD card option and select the .zip that you’ve already copied before
3. Wait until the process complete, go back to main menu, and select Reboot System Now
Now, let’s continue to the second phase of our tutorial
1. Download Stock Safe Package, Overcome Kernel, and Overcome 7 Series ROM 4.1.1 package and save it to your computer’
2. Extract the 001001-GB-Stock-Safe-v5.zip into your computer and leave the extracted file. Just remember the location, because we will need it later
3. Turn off your tablet PC. Now, enter the Download Mode by press and hold Volume – button, while simultaneously pressing the power button
4. Open the extracted folder and run Odin 3 v1.7
5. Plug in your Galaxy Tab into the computer
6. The ID:COM section in Odin should turn into yellow
7. Click on PIT tab and select 001001-GB-Stock-Safe-v5.zip
8. Click on PDA tab and select 001001-GB-Stock-Safe-v5.zip
9. Click on Phone tab and select modem.bin from T-Mobile folder if you’re currently use your tablet in North America, while other region should select the file from their respective folder
10. Click on Start button and the installation process will begin immediately
11. Once it’s finish, your tablet will automatically reboot.
Congratulations! you’ve just install the AOKP Android 4.0 firmware in your Samsung Galaxy Tab. Now you can experience some of new features from Ice Cream Sandwich, like new user interface, better multitasking, and resizeable widgets. But remember that this is only custom ROM. You should update it again when the official OS is released by Samsung.
Do you have any problems to follow this tutorial? Then don’t hesitate to write down your difficulties below. We will try our best to assist you.